Truth is- yes of course I crave sweets and other “forbidden foods”; while I absolutely truly love salad, sometime I DO want pizza; and eating healthy IS satisfying but I fully admit that I have my “cheat days”. I break the rules every so often- I eat candy, cake, cookies, hamburgers, french fries, nachos, and maybe even some Munchkin donuts!! Not all at once of course; but in small bits and on an infrequent basis. Yes you read that right- I sometimes eat the food I consider to be JUNK! And I do it because its only human to have cravings and equally as human to allow myself a treat every once and a a while.
I truly believe that it is because of the occasional treat and “cheat” that I am otherwise able to keep a healthy diet full of whole, REAL foods. 95% of the time I eat unprocessed foods that came directly from the ground, a tree/vine, or an animal. I am aware of what I choose to eat and drink, and I compliment my healthy eating habits by exercising regularly and maintaining a generally healthy lifestyle. Because this is the case 95% of the time, I allow myself to enjoy and splurge the other 5% of the time. The key here is that the splurges are the EXCEPTION and not the rule. Save them for special occasions- holidays, birthdays, important dinners, etc.
With the 4th of July holiday weekend here, it will no doubt be a time where we are surrounded by tempting foods at parties and BBQs. Whether its potato chips, double chocolate brownies, BBQ ribs, cookies, ice cream cake or anything else that makes you salivate, don’t restrict yourself to the point of being miserable. Instead do the opposite- plan to indulge during this special occasion. Pick your favorite treat and allow yourself a small portion of it. Be sure to take your time eating it- don’t shove it all in your mouth at once. Enjoy each bite, savor the texture and flavors and really let it be an experience. It’ll satisfy any cravings you’ve been having, and you’ll be less likely to binge on unhealthy foods in an unplanned way.
Food is delicious and fun. It is made to be enjoyed so do just that! All foods can be enjoyed in moderation and even the fittest, most health-conscious person can “Cheat” once and a while!