Have no fear, Lucky13Fitness is here with some healthy food swaps to help you avoid that nasty holiday bulge. Follow these 5 simple swaps, and you’ll be giving yourself the best gift around- your health!
1) Instead of CANDIED YAMS, make ROASTED SWEET POTATOES [roasting in the oven with just a bit of olive oil and sea salt cuts the sugar and fat without sacrificing flavor]
2) Instead of drinking WINE, have a WINE SPRITZER [replacing 2oz of wine with club soda will reduce your caloric intake and sugar consumption without having to give up the cocktail]
3) Instead of EGGNOG, enjoy WARM CIDER [eggnog is just about the worst thing you can have; it packs more fat and calories per sip than any other food/drink out there. Instead, warm up some apple cider in a small cup, throw in a cinnamon stick and enjoy]
4) Instead of GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE, add some FRESH GREEN BEANS to your plate[eating veggies is awesome, but dousing them in creamy sauce and putting fried onion bits on top defeats the purpose! Par-boil some green beans, and toss them in a little olive oil, sea salt and rosemary. Go for spices to add taste, not heavy creamy sauces.]
5) Instead of CHIPS & DIPS, feast on VEGGIES & HUMMUS OR GUACAMOLE [2 Tbsp of each healthy dip will bring you protein, healthy fats, and less of the stuff you don’t need. Raw veggies are the best possible things to snack on, so eat those ‘til your heart’s content!]
Follow these healthy holiday food swaps, remember to enjoy things in moderation, and continue to move! This is the key for holiday success!