1) First things first… I had a fabulous MONSTER Monday workout yesterday! It was a solo workout but what I lacked in motivation from my workout pal, I made up for in some kick-ass tunes!!! (more about this below) My workout consisted of the following:
Dynamic warmup & 20 mins on ARC trainer to start
- 20 box jumps
- 55lb overhead barbell carry
- Reverse lunges on Airex pad carrying 25lbs x12/leg
- Bent over rows using 25lb plates x10
- Single arm chest press using 25lb DB x10/side
- Rotational chops w/tubing x10/side
I originally was going for 5 rounds, but decided to give it a little extra push and did 6 rounds. All in all, it took me a little over an hour. My heart rate monitor clocked me burning around 1,000 calories. I use that as a ballpark estimate [it's never 100% accurate], but regardless of what it said I KNOW I got a kick-ass workout! It felt great to start the week off on a positive note!
2) As I mentioned above, I had a FABULOUS music selection for my workout yesterday. And it absolutely made all the difference. I got the new Mary J Blige “My Life II… The Journey Continues (Act 1)” CD and there are some songs with GREAT beats. My favorite 2 tracks are Feel Inside feat. NAS & a remake of an oldie but goodie, Ain’t Nobody. I put the CD on in the car on my way to the gym, and with each beat of the bass I got more and more pumped up. It reminded me just how important good music is when I work out.
When your energy is lacking & you just don’t feel like truckin’ it to the gym to work out, put on your favorite jam and let the music move you! It is always just a bit easier to work out when you’ve got a good soundtrack. You will push yourself to work faster, harder & stronger. So if you’ve been working with the same ol’ stale playlist, go download some new tunes and SWEAT!
3) I have developed a new initiative for Lucky13′ers called “Monday Makeover”. This is not a makeover in the traditional sense, but a “Makeover” of one small & achievable goal toward being the BEST version of you! The Monday Makeover goal can be on any topic: fitness, nutrition, health, finances, friendships, etc.
I have always considered Monday to be the beginning of a fresh start and clean slate. It is a new opportunity for improvement and reaching goals. Last week I decided to start my week with a small yet important goal. Beginning on Monday, I aimed to get to bed earlier and sleep for 7.5-8hrs per night. It took a lot of planning, but I did it! This week, I incorporated a new goal: drink 1 gallon of water each day. So far, so good. Next week, it’ll be something else small yet achievable. Each week building upon the previous week. At the end of a month, I’ll have made 4 positive, healthy changes. Over time, this can add up to some serious transformation! The key is to keep the goals achievable & sustainable [refer to SMART goals picture above].
I encourage each of you to bring positive and healthy change to your lives by starting Monday Makeover! Start thinking of goals of your own, and prepare yourself. And when next Monday comes, BRING IT!!! Share your goal with a friend, workout pal, or on theLucky13Fitness Facebook page. Having the support of others will encourage you even more & hold you accountable!