A client recently asked me if I could give her suggestions for pre-workout snacks that didn’t rely on animal protein, dairy, or protein powders. She was looking for a mix of protein and carbs for energy. I thought I’d share my response with you! Please feel free to comment below and add your favorite pre-workout snack.
For pre-workout snacks, I like to keep it a carb/protein mix… a “snack” should be about 200-250 calories… something easy to digest (and thats where it becomes subjective, depending on what your belly is like).
You have to get creative when you want protein but aren’t using animal or dairy sources… but nothing is impossible! This leaves you with more nut, legume and soy options, so just be aware of how your body responds to digesting them.
I tend to gravitate toward lean animal protein sources, and avoid dairy and legumes, as to follow my “Paleoesque” diet. The list below includes both animal and non-animal sources. Choose what works best for you!
Lucky13Fitness’ Top 10 Pre-Workout Snack Foods
- 1. banana with almond butter (2tbsp)
- 2. apple with handful of nuts (almonds, cashews, pistachios, etc)
- 3. handful of a high quality fruit/nut mix… by this i mean, no added sugars and no crazy oils. I actually just make a mix of my own.
- 4. 1/4 avocado with mini carrots or celery sticks
- 5. Hummus with carrots or celery, or peppers
- 6. 1 tbsp almond butter, 1tbsp local honey, mixed up and eaten with a spoon. A-MAAAA-ZINGGGG!
- 7. 2 hard boiled eggs and a handful of raspberries
- 8. 2 oz. chicken with 2-3 sweet potato wedges
- 9. green apple with 1 serving of goat cheese*
- 10. Newman’s Own Organic Fig Newmans*