We have to remember that modern living, like the ability to produce our own light, has only been around for a tiny spec of time in our evolutionary history.
As the season changes and it gets darker earlier, we're actually designed to start shutting down for the night. But, with the ability to make it "daytime" at any time we stay up later. And, those "daytime" lights actually inhibit our bodies' natural production of melatonin - a hormone that regulates our sleep cycle. Then add big-screen TVs, laptops, and smartphones and our eyes are getting blasted with light and our natural melatonin production is totally disrupted. It's no wonder that tens of millions of Americans have trouble sleeping.
Poor or short sleep messes with our metabolism. Because sleep helps regulate our blood sugar, lack of sleep can actually cause or worsen insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes, even in healthy people! Less sleep also means more cravings the following day. The less you sleep, the more likely you are to gain weight, snack excessively, or have one of a host of mood disorders.
“Sleep and stress have zero calories and you can't eat them, but they dramatically impact what you choose to eat, how much of it you eat, and whether it will be burned or stored once you eat it."
-Dr. Jade Teta
So, what can you do about it?
First and foremost, establish a healthy bedtime routine. Here are some ideas:
- Decide on a bedtime in advance, and start planning for it 1-2 hours ahead
- Limit your caffeine to the morning with absolutely no caffeinated drinks after 2 pm
- 1 to 2 hours before bed, take out a piece of paper and do a "brain dump"
- Turn off all electronic screens (TV, computer, etc.) an hour before bed
- Make yourself some decaf tea, listen to soft music, and read something light
- Turn off all phones and gadgets and put them in another room
- Set your bedroom temperature to 67-68 degrees F
- Take an Epsom salt bath before bed
- Dim the light, darken your bedroom
- Try some white noise, like a humidifier
- Focus on your behaviors rather than the outcomes
Now, if all that still doesn't give you a solid night sleep...
Try my "go-to" sleep formula - Natural Sleep by Eniva. Eniva Natural Sleep™ Liquid Formula is a natural sleep aid that provides a safe, natural, and effective liquid formula for healthy sleep.*
This fast-acting liquid sleep supplement contains specialized natural nutrients to support the entire sleep cycle. Natural Sleep is 100% natural, non-addictive, and non-habit forming.*
One of the best things I've found about using Natural Sleep is there's no grogginess the next morning. You don't feel like you have a hangover - a common issue with typical OTC sleep aids. Oh, and you won't find yourself going for walks or driving your car in your sleep like you might with some of those prescription sleep pills! 😉
If you have any sleep issues, I encourage you to give Eniva Health's Natural Sleep a try.
Natural Sleep is the "Product of the Month" so it's 20% off at Lucky13Fitness. Just reply to this email and I'll have one set aside for you. If you need it delivered, you can order online HERE and save 10%.
Sleep tight. 😴