According to its website, the EPIC bar is a 100% grass fed animal based protein bar designed as nature intended; Paleo friendly, gluten free, and low in sugar. The EPIC Bison Bacon bar “delivers a substantial serving of our two most favorite meats; 100% grass fed and organic buffalo brilliantly combined with humanely certified uncured bacon!”
How I Found the Product:
I was browsing around my local Whole Foods Market and saw a bright yellow and orange “Sale” sign, and went over to check it out. I looked at the bars, and read the ingredient list. For a packaged food, it was actually pretty clean. I decided to purchase one each of the Bison, Beef and Turkey bars.
When & Why I Used It:
I decided to keep these bars at work, for a time where I needed a decent source of protein between clients or after a workout. I always try and bring food with me, but hey- I’m not perfect :-). Sometimes I need a quick pick-me-up in a pinch.
• Real Ingredients- the first three ingredients say a LOT about a product, and the first three here are Bison (grass fed), uncured bacon (no nitrites or nitrates added), and dried cranberries.
• High Protein- its very hard to get a protein bar that’s not loaded with fillers, sugar, or gluten. This bar does a great job at that- one of the best I’ve seen.
• Portability- This bar is ideal for a health nut or Paleo-ite on the go. I can picture myself packing a few of these in my carry-on bag next time I fly. There are NEVER any great food options in an airport, and dried fruit and nuts sometime do not cut it!
• Filling- I ate this 200 calorie bar and was full!! I didn’t feel the need to seek out any more snacks after this.
• Sale Price- I purchased 3 bars for $7 when they were on sale at Whole Foods, and I thought it very reasonable. At that price, $2.33 per bar, I got a better deal than most other crappy “nutrition” bars.
• Texture- this didn’t taste like an ordinary “jerky” bar that you’d expect. It had lots of moisture in it, yet the texture wasn’t overly pleasurable.
• Aftertaste- I ate the bar with a few sips of water and then went to train my next client. It did leave a funky aftertaste in my mouth that made me want to get a mint, or brush my teeth.
• Salty- this is to be expected with any meat that is preserved to sit at room temp. If you can handle a bit of salt, its no big deal. And for athletes and outdoors enthusiasts who may be working up a sweat, the salt will be a good replenishment for your body. I just happened to think it was a bit much for my sensitive palate.
I love the fact that I have a go-to for a portable snack that has top notch ingredients, is high in protein, and has a clean ingredient list. I will definitely purchase more of these to bring on my next airplane ride. I am a person who believes in eating real, whole foods and I enjoy a home cooked meal as much as possible. However, we are a busy society and people are often on the run. I think the EPIC Bison Bacon bar is a great thing to have handy in the office, car, or gym bag when you need it in a pinch!