A global pandemic, shutdown, school/work disruptions, sickness and death, heightened racial tensions, and a hugely impactful Presidential election.
2020 has been so challenging, that I’ve seen several memes and other posts on social media relating anything negative/bad happening as yet another part of this crappy year.
For example, it snowed over the weekend here in the Boston area…. Our hometown of Acton got about 4 and a half inches.
So many people took to social media to complain:
“Of COURSE it’s snowing in October… #2020”
“2020 strikes again with a snowstorm before Halloween… we can’t catch a break!”
And so on, and so forth.
I get it, 2020 has sucked in many ways.
But if we only choose to focus on the negative things about the year, we will completely and totally miss out on enjoying and appreciating the good things that have happened.
(YES good things have happened…. If you don’t believe it, you’re just in the wrong mindset or haven’t yet looked in the right places)
I’ll use myself as an example:
Here are some negative, but very true facts about 2020:
- We were forced to close the doors to our studio from the start of March until sometime in June
- We lost some of our members and had others downgrade their memberships. This was a big hit to our business
- My son was out of school for about the same time period, and at only 3 years old, he had a really hard time with the break in routine.
- My sister hasn’t been inside my house or hugged her newborn niece since February.
- I wasn’t able to compete in my 1st triathlon in 4 years… after being pregnant and delivering my daughter.
These things all happened. They all SUCK. But if that’s all I thought about, I’d be pretty damn depressed and hopeless. So, I balance it out with some of the best gifts 2020 has given me:
- I have essentially been on maternity leave since last December… giving me every single precious moment possible with my newborn (who is now 10 months old!)
- I have had more time in nature with both of my children, along with my wife and our 2 dogs. We walk nearly 2 miles a day, and hike a few times a week.
- Our studio has discovered that virtual personal training is actually a wonderful tool that we will continue to keep as an offering long-term.
- We had AMAZING members of our community stick with us through it all, and essentially keep us in business.
- We have had new members join us, in an effort to take their health and fitness to the next level.
- We are in the process of construction for a big addition to our home.... it includes a home gym!
The moral of the story?
You must balance the bad with the good… you must look for light in the darkness. Because it is always there. And recognizing it can make all the difference in the world.
Now, here’s the 2020 Challenge part:
I challenge YOU to come up with some positive, wonderful things that have happened to you this year.
When you have come up with 1, or 2, or 10, email them to me at email@example.com with the words "2020 Challenge" in the subject line.
I will be collecting answers from folks who read this blog, are on my private email list, and reconnected to me via social media.
On Thanksgiving morning, I will announce the winner of the Challenge.
The winner will get to experience our “30 Day Test Drive” for FREE.
This is a $429 value, and the experience can be done from ANYWHERE… you don’t need to live near our studio!!!
(if you’re a current member, you’ll get a $429 credit toward your membership!)
So, get thinking about the wonderful and amazing things that 2020 has given you, and email firstname.lastname@example.org with "2020 Challenge" in the subject line to share with me.
Forward this blog to friends, family, colleagues, co-workers, etc. and help spread a sense of positivity and gratitude!